The path to a life long challenge




We were totally caught off-guard when Sriram was diagnosed with T1D.  This is because his diagnosis was anything but typical.  He didn't have any of the classic diabetic symptoms like excessive thirst or frequent urination.  Most if not all of his symptoms were behavioral.

We moved to Cupertino in June 2016.  As a result Sriram started his second grade in a new school.  We used to live in an apartment community in which we had lots of friends.  It was a very lively and child friendly environment with kids playing outside or in one of their friend's houses most of the time.  Therefore, the move was a huge change for all of us.  Summer was pretty uneventful.  But, I noticed a lot of behavioral changes after his school started.  He was eating less and less.  Also he started to get physical with our younger one Raghav.  I knew that this was not sibling rivalry as Raghav for almost 2 years by that time.  Therefore, I assumed this was part of adjusting to a new school and new set of friends.  I hoped that he would be back to normal soon.

He used to look very tired and exhausted when I picked him up everyday from the after school center.  He was almost always quiet until I picked up Raghav from the day care on the way back. This was an unusual behavior for him.  This was a kid who used to walk back from school with me the earlier year. He used to talk nonstop through out the walk.  I knew that he didn't like the after school center he was going.  So, I assumed that he was upset because of that.  He was about to move to another after school center from December onward and I thought he would be ok soon.

In short I assumed that a whole host of symptoms were just due to the change in the environment and everything will be ok soon.  What a wishful thinking it was.

Home
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The school - Home away from home

A1C !!! It's that time of the year again ...

Friends for life - 2018